Friday, April 11, 2008

Inquiry Question: Intro

What prompted me to question faiths, my faith originally, but which slowly expanded other and all faiths , were the particular circumstances of my life at various times, beginning
with my early teen years. It all began at about the age of 14, when I was at the receiving end of tremendous pressures, mostly from parents, to attend public prayers and start becoming religious because "my life would improve". Whenever I heard that line and others similar, I had this intense urge of wanting to question the quality of their own lives since they were so "religious" and "God-fearing" people than I and other not-so-religious but wealthy people .
Albeit, I didn't openly exercised my reservations at the time regarding faith, I began to engage in activities and attitudes that was to serve the purpose of implicitly conveying my deep displeasure with the subject. For instance, I'd start being more active and helpful around the house. I'd start doing house-oriented jobs just so they could myself to my siblings and even themselves who regarded themselves "deeply religious" and regularly attended sermons and prayers.
My intentions weren't to disqualify or even suggest the disqualification of God or even the existence of God. But rather, it was merely to suggest that and if possible- because I was bracing for a real resistance and rejection, to make the point that one did not necessarily needed God's approval or blessing or motivated by fear of God to do something humanitarian or good.
Needless to say, it all turned out to be futile effort and failed to accomplish what I was Hoping for, which was to do some convincing about my point to others. So instead, I abandoned my naivete and opted for a completely different tactic: simply to ignore all and everything they had to say about the subject in question, all the while appearing receptive and understanding about points they wished to make to me. Simply put, suck all in through one ear and flush 'em out through the other.
This tactic essentially done them in. it wasn't after quite a while that they've realized that all of their efforts had been an utter fiasco and had next to nothing to change my attitude and views regarding faith. Ever since then, which was quite recent, about 2-3 years ago, I haven't any major pressures or patronizing and/or lectures about religion other than the occasional " just try it out and see how it feels" comments during Friday prayers.