Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Take Of Roy

"This Boy's Life"

This response regards the relations and interactions between the three main characters in the story. And I think it's one that reflects human nature and is quite common in human affairs.
The center character here, at least in this phase, Roy, a former companion and acquaintance
of Wolff's mother, is constantly attempting to bring himself closer to or ease relations with Wolff's mother after relations soured in previously, and doing so in most devious and conspicuously obvious ways at times, to young Wolff which he seems to believe is immature to comprehend the invisible he and his mother are conducting.
For instance, he exploits young Wolff to get on the nerves and get a reaction from the ignorantly and arrogantly dismissive- at least to him- mother. Wolff is explicitly more than cognizant of, albeit he exhibits it in implicit terms, I don't if it's from respect or empathy for poor Roy or He's too pride to openly profess his thoughts. "when he saw my mother, he winked and wanted me to wink back, but I knew that would somehow put me on his side".
Young Wolff knows of the manipulative and exploitative nature of Roy, who to some degree is still a stranger to him for the more than 'coincidental' circumstances of his debut in their lives, and did not wish to give that legitimacy or please him and certainly didn't wish to antagonize his Mother, for which he admires so much.


Has anyone taken advantage of you or used you as a launching pad to get to another person for whatever reason? Maybe job promotion or romantic advances?

1 comment:

Tamere said...

Yes i have had this experienc numerous times. The one i can remember is when my friend used me to get to this girl he knew i liked but never told me. Wen i found out he did this i was hurt and i knew he wasn't one of my true friends.